Thursday, January 31, 2013

REVIEW: Vogue 8815 (Peplum Top)

Hello Fellow Bloggers,

I hope this day has gone sew very well for you all.  My last post was so pic heavy, I decided to review Vogue 8815 by itself.  This is the second top that I made from this pattern.  I love both but this beige one fits better and has gotten plenty of wear (not w/the skirt yet). 

Let's get started shall we.  I venture to say that almost everyone has made or seen this top made up, but for those who haven't here is a picture.

V8815There are three variations of this top. I chose the bodice of View C (long sleeves and used the peplum of Views A & B).  Here are the pics of my alterations:

The Upper Bodice (chest) was too short - lengthened this area by 3/8ths and lengthened the waist by 1".


 Widened the peplum in increments of 3 for a total of 6 inches (12" more to back peplum)

Added three wedges of 2" each to peplum front (total width of front peplum is 12 inches).

By lengthening the waistline and the upper chest my top sits at the natural waist and the armhole area is no longer binding.  I did use self-made bias binding for the neckline.  I will make this again in a more vibrant color and shorten the sleeves to 3/4 length (my favorite).  This top is so much fun to wear!  I've worn it with jeans mostly.  When I try to wear it with the skirt, I feel stuffed!  OK, OK.
Pics of me trying to look serious and one just having a little fun.  These pics were taken on a cloudy day and just don't do justice.  Nevertheless:
All about the Peplum
 

 
My Profile Shot!  LOL
 

Can you see me, now?
 

Caught off guard here. lol
 

Love the width of the peplum - Volume, please! By adding volume, it appears that the peplum is longer. Not.
 
As I said, I love this top and I see versions back up in Spring Collections. Let's try color the next time.  Well, that's it.  Oh, I forgot the Pastor's wife will see that I don't always wear too big pants. LOL.

Before I close, FYI, I joined the "I Am Fearless" Sew-Along hosted by Victoria over at tenthousandsewinghours.  Maybe this time I will stay focused and tackle several garments that I've wanted to make for years!  Hooray!  I AM Fearless!!!

 
Until Next Time,
Brenda


19 comments:

  1. Love this top on you, and the changes you made are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judith. This top feels wonderful after I made the changes. Keep looking, some more are coming! LOL

      Delete
  2. You did a great job on this top with your alteration! I am partial to the black with the skirt. I received my box of patterns on yesterday. Thank you so much for my prize. I will share the duplicates with my sewing friends. Thanks again. Both tops are good looking on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce. Happy you received your package and do share! Yes, I love the black one too. This beige will probably serve as a jeans companion. lol

      Delete
  3. Lovely top and it looks great with the jeans.


    I received the patterns ... Thanks a bunch and also for the extra surprise. You are so kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila, I'm glad you received your package! Can't wait to see what you make!

      Delete
  4. Hello Fearless! The peplum style fits you wonderfully! What fabric did you use in making it. My patterns arrived yesterday!!! Thanks again for sharing and for the the extra surprise. You are too kind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Faye! I can't wait to see what you ladies make from those patterns and again feel free to share if you'd like. About the peplum top, the fabric is a ponte knit from my stash 2-3yrs old. I am stash busting. LOL!

      Delete
  5. LOVE this peplum and the added volume takes it up a notch. I made this in animal print and plain black but I'm gonna need another one using your suggestion of adding volume. Just gorgeous!!!! BTW, have fun with your "Fearless" sewing this month!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks Victoria! I love everything about this top. YOu've made a couple yourself so I will stop gushing here. lol. Adding the volume was a no-brainer for me as I like things that look different. lol. Thanks again for hosting the Fearless Sewing Challenge and I'm grateful to participate in it.

      Delete
  6. Finally scored the pattern today at JoAnn's for 3.99. Every time the Vogue patterns were on sale this one was sold out.Yours looks great and thanks for showing your alterations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fantastic, Tanya! I suggest that you trace your original pattern. You can always use the copy to make any changes. This pattern keeps selling out and will keep doing so because peplums are back again in the Spring rotation. Thanks for following my blog and feel free to comment or recommend anything at anytime.

      Delete
  7. I really like the fuller peplum. It fits beautifully, Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, JuliN. Don't you just love the volume. It is so dainty without being over the top.

      Delete
  8. This is a lovely top and looks great on you. I'm glad I found your blog. I found it through Pattern Review website. The thumbnail to the picture on your review didn't work for me so I used the web address at the bottom of your review. Great job on the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello BeaJay, thanks for visiting and following my blog! So very sorry about the thumbnail, I tried everything to get it to work and will try to fix it. I do LOVE this top. Have you tried it yet?

      Delete
  9. That is soooo cute on you. One of my favorite versions of this pattern. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Godsgirl!!! I've been following your blog for sometime,now and love it!!!! Let's keep sewing.

      Delete
  10. omg Brenda I love this top on you! It is adorable and I love the extra volume you gave to it. I am new at garment sewing and I failed the first time I made this. But I am going to try it again with your modifications. By the way girl, your figure is amazing and I would totally rock form fitting clothing if I could. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your comments and responses. They are welcomed.