Monday, December 13, 2010

Burda 7866 Top & Elna 444 Coverstitch

The Burda top above is so very nice and easy to sew and wear.  I used a knit fabric purchased from Wal-Mart that was in my stash from whenever.  I loved this fabric when I found it.  This fabric feels great against the skin.

The pattern is sized 10-22. I made a 10 though I believe an 8 would have been a closer fit. I made a 1/2" swayback adjustment so that this top would hang evenly around the hip area.  Yeah, I made the size 10 in the shoulder/bust area and increased by 1/2" on each side in the hip area.  The instructions had some type of confusing technique for interfacing the neckline. I chose to make a template and interfaced the entire neckline and turned under.  Used my new Elna 444 Coverstitch machine to hem sleeves, neckline and hem.  Wow, I never knew this machine was so handy.  I've owned it about 2 months now and love it.  My collection of knits will be getting a workout now.  Here are pics of the top, alterations and the Elna 444.


The front with bell kimono sleeves

The back


59" belt (whew!)

coverstitched hem
Well, that's it for now.  BTW, I did a review of the coverstitch machine on Patternreview.com

Until Next Time
Brenda

6 comments:

  1. That top is fierce.. love the abstract print and colors. Congrats on your new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adrienne and Sheila for the comments. The feel of this fabric is unbelievable. Oh yea, this new toy is very nice and quiet. Received my clearview foot and hem guide for it Tuesday. Now, I will really use it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this top! Your clors and print ar wonderful~ it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog via Sew Much Talent. Love your top. I used that same fabric for a top about a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda,

    The top looks great on you. I love the colors and print. I love my coverstitch also. So much easier than a double needle.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your comments and responses. They are welcomed.