Hello Fellow Bloggers,
Hope everyone is having a great week since we've marched past the mid-week mark. Living only about 5-6 miles from the train incident in North Alabama today, I'm kind of out of energy! But I want to review these two garments. Shortly after I made the McCall's cardigan, I made two other tops which I will share with you. Nothing spectacular, just tops I wanted to give a hearty shout out to.
First up is New Look 6838
This is a nice top! I love the center back seem which allows for sway-back adjustments, if needed.
Pattern Description: NONE! You mostly look at the blank drafts on the envelope. lol
Suggested Fabrics: Knits only, such as: Jerseys, Lightweight Double Knits, Stretch Velvet.
I made this top out of a jersey knit purchased so long ago, I don't remember where. I bought the bolt (9 yds). Now that I think about it, it may have been about 5-6 yrs. ago. This fabric is very drapey and has plenty stretch in either direction.
Notions: Fabric & thread. lol
My Observation: The top is close-fitting with sleeve variations- 3/4 length or elbow length.
I made the top with 3/4 length sleeves. Very, very simple and goes together rather quickly. The fit is very nice and flattering. I also love the neckline.
Will I Make This Again or Suggest: The answer is, "Yes", to both. I love the fit and it is very stylish and slimming. This top would be great underneath jackets, etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next up is McCall's 6841 from their Fall lineup.
Pattern Description:
Three variations of the loose-fitting tops have draped front and back collar. Wrong side may show.
I chose View C with 3/4 length sleeves, front pleated drape and narrow hem.
Fabric Suggestions: Jerseys, Cotton Knit and for View A: also Chiffon, Georgette & Sheer Knits.
Having purchased the bolt of this fabric which is akin to a slinky knit, I chose this to use as a trial garment. Guess what, I like it. Like it a lot.
This pattern is so oddly shaped but goes together rather quickly. I used the serger mostly except for the pleating at the shoulder seams, hems and the collar seam line.
Would I suggest this & will I make this again: Yes to both questions. I really like this top in some kind of way.
Well, here are descriptive pictures:
Hope everyone is having a great week since we've marched past the mid-week mark. Living only about 5-6 miles from the train incident in North Alabama today, I'm kind of out of energy! But I want to review these two garments. Shortly after I made the McCall's cardigan, I made two other tops which I will share with you. Nothing spectacular, just tops I wanted to give a hearty shout out to.
First up is New Look 6838
This is a nice top! I love the center back seem which allows for sway-back adjustments, if needed.
Pattern Description: NONE! You mostly look at the blank drafts on the envelope. lol
Suggested Fabrics: Knits only, such as: Jerseys, Lightweight Double Knits, Stretch Velvet.
I made this top out of a jersey knit purchased so long ago, I don't remember where. I bought the bolt (9 yds). Now that I think about it, it may have been about 5-6 yrs. ago. This fabric is very drapey and has plenty stretch in either direction.
Notions: Fabric & thread. lol
My Observation: The top is close-fitting with sleeve variations- 3/4 length or elbow length.
I made the top with 3/4 length sleeves. Very, very simple and goes together rather quickly. The fit is very nice and flattering. I also love the neckline.
Will I Make This Again or Suggest: The answer is, "Yes", to both. I love the fit and it is very stylish and slimming. This top would be great underneath jackets, etc.
| Top Front |
| Top Back Side Note: I made my own bias binding for the neckline rather than turning down 5/8" and hemming. |
Next up is McCall's 6841 from their Fall lineup.
Pattern Description:
Three variations of the loose-fitting tops have draped front and back collar. Wrong side may show.
I chose View C with 3/4 length sleeves, front pleated drape and narrow hem.
Fabric Suggestions: Jerseys, Cotton Knit and for View A: also Chiffon, Georgette & Sheer Knits.
Having purchased the bolt of this fabric which is akin to a slinky knit, I chose this to use as a trial garment. Guess what, I like it. Like it a lot.
This pattern is so oddly shaped but goes together rather quickly. I used the serger mostly except for the pleating at the shoulder seams, hems and the collar seam line.
Would I suggest this & will I make this again: Yes to both questions. I really like this top in some kind of way.
Well, here are descriptive pictures:
| Front Pattern Piece (btw there are only 2 pattern pieces for View C- Front & Back |
| Frontal Drape - NICE! |
Shoulder Pleats - Attractive
View of the sleeve & shoulder pleats
Check out the volume of the frontal drape!
Back and Collar
| Side View of the finished garment - Me Like It! Side Note: I have enough fabric left to make loose-fitting pants and a skirt! |
Well my friends, this is it for tonight. See you back later.
Until Next Time,
Brenda


Both tops are lovely. Great job.
ReplyDeleteLove them both. Thanks for the great photos to show detail
ReplyDeleteBoth are beautiful Brenda!
ReplyDeleteBoth tops look great. I never gave the McCall's pattern a thought until I saw your version.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful tops, I love the McCall details
ReplyDeleteI love the McCalls pattern now that I've seen your's! Very Pretty...now a "have-to-have"!
ReplyDeleteLovely tops. Thanks for the review, I have both patterns.
ReplyDeleteHave a Beautiful Holiday.