Saturday, November 16, 2013

Do I Share or Not?!?

Hello,

It has been awhile since my last post and I have not reviewed those two pieces, but I will.  Not that the garments are extra special but because I realized something about me. lol

Keeping with the title of my post, I want to share some thoughts with you.  You may not agree and I don't expect everyone to do so.  This is not pure rambling but something that has been on my mind and in my heart for quite sometime.  I will tell you all that I am very observant and highly aware of things said on other blogs.  I follow many blogs am aware of the hurtful comments left on blogs, myself included.  Several posts in recent weeks have made me want to post about issues.

First, I'd like to thank all of you that take time out to comment and/or drop by.  I will honest admit that I am truly not into this blogging business, but I try. 

Secondly, as a blogging community of sewists or artists, whichever you prefer yourself as, I find it very catty!  While there are young and upcoming members of the sewing community that are discovering sewing blogs there are those that post such negative comments on anothers' blog!

Thirdly, Carolyn over @Diary of a Sewing Fanatic posted something along this line and Adrienne over @Real Life And Unsubscribed just posted, today, about some thing that brought my attention to this matter.
Oh, let me not forget the venomous posts that Erica mentioned about on her blog over @ Erica B's-D.I.Y. Style just a few weeks ago.  People, we are doing a great disservice to the sewing community with this negativity!!!! There are very supportive people in the SC but there are those that just are so negative, have huge followers and just...  .It is my opinion that if one has to say nasty things about anyone stop visiting their blogs.  Simply put

Now To The Meat Of My Post:
My blog is not perfectly setup and I don't care.
My blog is just that, MY blog.
I don't have hundreds of followers and I don't care.
I love the few followers that I have and I care deeply about them.
I have my own style (50 yrs) and I own it and am proud of it.
I blog when I'm able to do so.
I blog when I want to, it's my blog.
I can sew whatever I want to, when I want to.
Style is ever evolving, most of what is out today, I made years ago-just modernized.
I am inspired by all creative people irregardless to pedigree, statute, size, degrees, etc.
I am eternally grateful that I am gifted to know that the craft of sewing is continual.
Whether or not one visits or subscribes to my blog is insignificant to me.
I just enjoy my craft, hobby, lifeline (whatever you call it).
I don't try to mimic or please others, just me. Who doesn't copy? Even designers do it!!!
I get great pleasure in someone seeing my garments and wanting the exact one.  Business Boom!

Having listed all of the above has been very cathartic for me.  None of which I posted is aimed at anyone or anything.  Just being able to express myself is in and of itself helpful to me, at this point in my life.

Please allow me to explain.  Some of you know that I am a Church musician.  I have served as Minister of Music for years and in July I was fired.  I won't go into details except to say it has been pretty devastating to me.  I have basically left Church!  After William passed, my work in the Music Ministry was grounding me, keeping me very busy.  With all this time on my hand, the hurt and the  feeling of rejection, I just barely muster the strength to sew one skirt. OK, skirts are my biggest wardrobe love. lol.  I still have my day job (28 yrs) but my ministry work has been a lifelong
process (50 years)!!!  Working mostly from home has not helped very much in the way of me wanting to sew and dress up to go out.  My outings occur pretty much after dark and while others are at work.  Did I hear counseling?

NOW that I've shared with you, I only ask that we all learn to except each other's gifts, talents and keep encouraging others who are interested in our craft!  Stop the bickering and backstabbing and just live, learn and grow with each other. 

I love you all and I hope you understand this post. A BIG thank you to Faye over @ Fayessewingadventures for calling, caring and listening, I love you!

Until Next Time,
Brenda

11 comments:

  1. Well stated, reading some comments makes me realize that some women never rise above the mean girl teenage phase of life. If you can't say something nice, don't comment. Sometimes one door closes and another one will open but it may not be on your timetable. :>) I glad to see that you are a fellow skirt lover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Towanda, thank you for looking in and commenting. Your words of encouragement mean a lot, thank you!

      Delete
  2. From another skirt lover, I love to see your craftsmanship. I knew at our very first meeting that you were an excellent seamstress, and I appreciate your style and level of accomplishment. I must admit that I enjoy when your are on a roll and posting your creations, and yes I want to copy them - what person in their right mind wouldn't want to copy great work? But you are so correct, it is YOUR BLOG, post whenever and whatever you please - that's exactly what I do on mine. I am sure that there are some that don't appreciate my work, but I just concentrate on enjoying and communicating with those who do. I don't like cattyness or childishness; I just like good clean fun, sharing and learning. I've learned a lot about sewing from other blogs - yours included, and feel that my sewing skills have improved/increased as a result of being connected to the sewing world through blogging.
    Keep up your good work, and remember, our God given skills often minister to others in ways that would surprise us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Linda! Thank you for dropping by! You are creating interesting garments over there yourself. Knock yourself out, copy all you want. lol

      Delete
  3. I too enjoy seeing your creations and want to copy many of them myself! Being in the middle of a life transition myself, I understand how you feel completely. I hope that a new avenue to minister opens up for you.
    I'm not much of a joiner, but I peripherally noticed some of the clique-ish "little and cute" sewers/sewists/sewcialists can be a bit mean-spirited. I try to stay away from that part of the blogosphere. There are so many nice and informative sewing blogs around. Like yours! Keep doing what you are doing at a pace that is comfortable for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JuliN, thank you for dropping by and commenting. Shame on me but it has taken me awhile to find your blog. Love it!

      Delete
  4. Brenda, you said it all. I enjoy your blog and totally agree with you. I am asked all the time why I do not start a sewing blog. First, I do not think my sewing is good enough to showcase, and second, I do not want the negative feedback. I always try to leaving encouraging words on blogs. And if I can't find something nice to say, I just don't say anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, thank you for stopping by! You are really whipping up some lovely garments over there. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Towanda. Some women never grow up. As for the church job, keep your chin up and your faith strong. These times are sent to try our faith. Something better is ahead! I love seeing what you make, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those encouraging words, Melodye! Thanks for dropping in and commenting.

      Delete
  7. Amen! I know I very seldom blog but I am sewing. Bloggers can be very cruel to each other. I truly enjoy your creations! Keep up the good work. I have to believe that things work out and that this too shall pass. Thank you for blogging and sharing your creations with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your comments and responses. They are welcomed.