Monday, November 18, 2013

Better Late Than.... Reviews: McCall's 6654 & 6844

Hello Fellow Bloggers:
I trust everyone had a wonderful weekend.  Mid-October, I posted pics of the two pieces I'd made but never reviewed either of them.  Neither of these patterns were hard, instructions were easy to follow along BUT...

Let's get started:  McCall's 6654 -  The Skirt.  This is one lovely little skirt pattern.  I think I have made it so many times just never posted all of them, lol. 
 
 
This skirt has become my go to when making skirts!  Okay, it has truly made me lazy.
For those who have not given this one a go. there is a front and back pattern and the casing.
Four lengths for the semi-fitted skirt (shown above) and four lengths for the loose-fitting skirts.
All skirts have elasticized waistband and narrow hems.
 
Lengths for all are included:  The pencil skirt- lengths are 17", 21", 23" 28", 39"
Loose-fitting skirt-- lengths are 19", 23", 28" and 42"
 
 
Word of caution here, you should do a flat pattern measurement on the loose-fitting skirt as it is very loose fitting!  I had to go down from my size 14 (hips) to a Sz 10-12!  Lovely skirt, otherwise.
 
I apologize but I am still unable to get selfies of me wearing these pieces.  Oh, I forgot, I haven't worn anything but the cardigan.  lol  Here are some pics of the skirt showing the fabric and the waistband.
Skirt Front

Skirt Back
 
This pattern is designed for medium weight moderate stretch knits: Jerseys, Cotton Knit, Ponte Knit and Sweater Knits.  I made this using a Ponte Roma purchased from Hancock Fabrics sometime back.  The pattern suggests using 1" wide elastic.  For all previous skirts, I used the 1" but for this one I chose to use 1/2" wide elastic and the result was priceless.  This band lays so smooth against the body! I love this fabric.  The skirt was made 26" in length and from the one yard of fabric left over from the cardigan.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Cardigan --I Love You!  McCall's 6844
 
This cardigan has been reviewed several times and has become a favorite.  If you have not tried this pattern... you must!  Simply lovely.
 
Description:  Close-fitting cardigans (do not meet @ center front), uum.  Have collar extending into front band and narrow hems.  Three views, I made the view shown above (C).
Suggested Fabrics:  Sweater Knits, Novelty Knits and Interlock.  I used Ponte Roma.
 
This cardigan is sweet.  The sleeves are very close-fitting (do a flat-pattern measuring).
I noticed several people complaining about the front band not being long enough and having to stretch it to align with the front of cardi.  Well, I did notice that and made the necessary adjustment before cutting into my fabric.  Pictures below.

Front Bodice and Band laid out side x side (matching notches)

This picture shows the actual cutting line for View C (dark line).  I left 2.5" additional length to accommodate the turn of the bottom edge.  Remember this  front band is interfaced (more weight)

Notice the matched notched edges of the peplum and the band extension.  Without the extra length the turned edge is scant at most and does not create a smooth turn of the cloth forming the hem.
 
By adding the additional length, I was able to easily turn the edge up and cut off any extra.
I did add 1" to the bodice length and to the sleeves, other than that this was an easy make.
As always,  I did use my pressing ham to set these sleeves.
 
 
Finally!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Yes, I will make this again!!!  I do apologize for the long post but...
 
Until Next Time,
Brenda
 
 



14 comments:

  1. Beautiful outfit and the print is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Sheila. I, too, love this fabric. For once I could pull something from the stash and be up-to-date! If was a fun project.

      Delete
  2. I am in love with your whole outfit. Simply beautiful. I must try this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, BeaJay! Go for it, you will love this cardi. Just remember this pattern runs large but do measure the arm circumference, the sleeves are very narrow.

      Delete
  3. This is gorgeous! Love it. Thanks for the tip regarding the cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Angela! About the tip, my grandma taught me this when making my first faux fur coat when I was 15 YO! It works for jackets, as well. Hooray, to Momma Etta, R.I.P.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful out, I love this fabric! I have had this skirt pattern sitting around with a skirt halfway finished from it. You have motivated me to pull it out tomorrow and finish my skirt. I love your cardigan as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Levone! Go ahead make that skirt and make the cardigan too!

      Delete
  5. Oops meant beautiful outfit...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I plan on making another one of these lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Adrienne! Don't you just love this little cardigan?

      Delete
  7. OMG it's gorgeous! That fabric is just extra yummy!

    I agree, everyone should make this cardigan! LOL! I've made 3 and am probably not done yet. It wears so well with a variety of things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This ensemble is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your comments and responses. They are welcomed.