Friday, May 17, 2013

A Review - Vogue 8894 (View B)

V8894 | Misses' Dress | New Sewing Patterns | Vogue Patterns


 
 
Hell Fellow Sewistas,
As promised, here is the review of my latest sewing project.  Vogue 8894 is one of the recently released patterns and I love it!  Let's get started shall we.
 
Pattern Rating:
Very Easy CustomFit for A, B, C, D Cup Sizes.Easy. This will be a quick make for my next one.
 
Pattern Description:
Misses' Dress. Close-fitting bodice, raised waist, hemline variations and back zipper.  I made View B shown above which is fitted through hips and has a stitched hem.  A, B, C, D cup sizes included.
 
Pattern Sizing:
XSmall - Small - Medium.  Also Large - XXL.  I made a Small C Cup in the bodice and a Medium for the hips.
 
Did it look like the photo on the pattern envelope.
Yes.  The instructions were simple just glanced over them.  The pattern for View only consist of 4 pieces (front & back bodice, Skirt front and back.  Can't be any easier.
 
What did you like or dislike about the pattern?
I love this pattern.  The fit is great. I did make a muslin for the bodice.  B cup was too big so I opted for the C cup in the small. I believe I could have actually gone down to an XSmall in the bodice with the B cup.  What I did not like but not terribly so is that the neckline is really low.
 
Fabric Used:
The fabric was from my stash and I can't remember when I purchased it but I do remember it was from Hancock Fabrics.  It is a Pique with a small amount of stretch.
 
Pattern Alterations or any design changes:
 
I highly recommend making the bodice up in a muslin. Having made a full muslin of the dress, I made minor changes. I added 1" to the sleeve length, 3" to the skirt Front and Back, raised the front neckline 2.5", lowered the shoulder seam by 1/2" and took about 7/8" from the CB seam of the bodice. Since I trace all my patterns, I now have a pattern with athis ll the adjustments and will be able to make this dress in a snap the next time and there will be a next time. I love pattern and the fit.
Would you recommend this pattern?:
Yes, absolutely. This would be a great pattern for a beginner.
 
In Conclusion:
I have been fascinated witht he high-low hemlines and decided to give this pattern a try and am I ever so glad that I did!  Pictures with details are below.
 
Bodice Front

Dress Back w/ Invisible Zipper

Full Frontal
 
Stabilized Neckline with Knit Stay Tape from Sewkeys

Lengthened sleeves 1 inch

The First Bodice made up showing the lower neckline

The Final Neckline Raised by 2.5 inches

Side View

Back View
Raised the Neckline by 2.5 inches
 
Hi-Low Hemline which has a faced front hem.

 
 
That's it for now.  I could not get decent pictures of me wearing the dress. Aww.
 
Until Next Time,
Brenda

 
 

13 comments:

  1. What a beautiful dress Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Faye. Though the pattern was described as Very Easy, it was a labour of love getting the fit down. lol

      Delete
  2. Nicely done!! I hadn't planned to buy this pattern- until now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, prttynpnk. I think you would truly love this pattern. I have conjured up (in my mind) many options.

      Delete
  3. Brenda, this is fabulous! I said (to myself) that I wasn't going to buy any more patterns but this dress you've made is tooo cute and has me strongly reconsidering....see what you've done....nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GodsgirlT! Speak to yourself no more, get this one just, remember to make a muslin of the bodice. There is ample enough room in the hip area to compensate or over compensate. Fit will be your preference. Can't wait to see your finished project

      Delete
  4. Thank you so very much, Linda! I love this dress and you should give it a go. lol BTW, I love your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a phenomenal job with this pattern! I never even gave it a first glance on Vogue's website. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You, JuliN. This pattern is very nicely drafted you should give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking dress. This is one I over looked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll just have to wait for the real life pictures. This dress looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your comments and responses. They are welcomed.