Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Review: SB's Terrific Tube Skirt & More

Hello Blogger Family,
Fall is in the air and so is our fabric and style choices.  So excited!!!  Let's get it on, shall we.
As a staunch lover of Sandra Betzina's patterns  and techniques, I had to give her tube skirt another try.  Years ago, after purchasing her book, "Power Sewing, Step-By-Step", I made several of her tube skirts.  I loved them then and now.  While gaining my confidence again (many years later) to give the "skirt" another chance I did just that and I'm so pleased.

If you have the book give this skirt a nod, no pattern needed and it is awesome.  Being on vacation last week was a great opportunity to change out those summer fabrics.  While doing so, I took time out to explore my extensive book collection and remembered the skirt that I had made at least 20 of.
LOL!  I actually was afraid to try it again because of the years, weight gain and aging.  This skirt is timeless irregardless of all the above.  Fears aside, this is what I came up with using fabric from my forgotten stash.

THE Terrific Tube Skirt: No pattern needed. Cut a knit fabric 5" wider than your hip measurement! Position the greatest stretch around your body, sew the the tube of fabric together using a 1-1/2" wide seam allowance which gives those of us with hips 2" of ease.  Turn down the upper edge of fabric to create a casing for your elastic, insert elastic and you have your tube skirt (nka: knit pencil skirt).

Having so many yards of Ponte Roma knit, I decided to re-visit this method. It works greatly and is a quick fix and is estremely comfortable.  Don't you just love this knit fabric.  You can update your wardrobe instantly.  Here are the pics.  Thanks for dropping by.


Until Next Time,
Brenda

 

3 comments:

  1. You do know that you are an enabler don't you??? Although the 1st skirt in my Carnival was made in a similar fashion, you know the first thing I'm doing when I get home this evening is pulling that book off my shelf to check this skirt out! I'm even thinking about swinging by Hancock's for a pink piece of ponte knit to add some snaz to my skirt collection.

    You look marvelous BTW, and I love that fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Faye! I love this skirt. I made another in haste and the pattern is so off (didn't match) with the top made earlier. Fuming over here. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally figured out those rolls above hip line!!! duh, those spanx are so comfortable. Had been wearing this skirt for about 14 hours, I guess Spanx got tired and decided to roll. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your comments and responses. They are welcomed.