Friday, February 27, 2015

What Have I Been Sewing? A Review Vogue 8854 & Vogue1376 WARNING: Pic Heavy

My goodness it has been such a long time since I last blogged!  My apologies but being unable to take adequate pictures is the main reason.  I just lost my energy to blog without decent pictures. The other reason is I stay on Instagram too much!!!

Thank you for those still dropping by. I took a few pictures of garments I've sewn lately in all that snow.  You know I love you! Here goes:

VOGUE 1376 - VIEW C (Leggings)

A few months ago, I sewed my first pair of leggings using Today's Fit by Sandra Betzina.  Loved them so much I made another pair in black Scuba Knit and pair with the Vogue top (hard to see). Sorry!

Pattern Description: (Leggings Only) View C:
Close-fitting legging with elasticized waist, no side seams and stitched hems.

Fabric:
Two-way stretch knits- Rayon Spandex, Cotton Spandex.

For two of my pairs, I used a heavy suiting knit with rayon and spandex for warmth and a less closer fit and another pair was made up in Scuba Knit.

Size:  A- J (All sizes in one envelope)

According to the pattern, I should have made a size D which I did with the first pair but chose Size C with this pair and had to take in quite a bit to fit!  Yea

I love these leggings but you can hardly see them in the self-made pictures.
If you have not tried these leggings, I highly recommend them.  The waist band is a turn-down with elastic measuring 1-/34 to 2" width.  I chose to use the 2" knit elastic and are they so ever comfortable and stay in place even when sitting!
You can sew several pairs in one sitting once you get the fit down which is not bad with this pattern.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the main garment of this post, I made Vogue 8854.





Cover Stitched Facing and Soutache Braid for the Loop
Balanced the hem by snipping at hem depth and pressing opposite directions before hemming



VOGUE 8854 - VIEW C

This top is just awesome, I tell ya!  It goes together rather quickly.  I glanced over the instruction sheet but decided to go my on route without any problems.



PATTERN DESCRIPTION:  Loose-fitting, pullover tunic which has a collar or hood (View C), shaped hemline, narrow hem, topstitching, snap closing or button and self-loop.

I made View C with the button closing, 2 snaps and  used a No-Iron Soutache Braid rather than making a fabric loop (my preference).  1/2" clear elastic was used to stabilize shoulder seams.

SIZING:  XS-Medium, Lg-XL
Because this top is loose-fitting, I decided to make the Size Small and it fits nicely. I also lengthened the front and Back waist by 1".

FABRIC: Moderate Stretch Knits- Jersey, Sweater Knit.

Fabric in my top was purchased off the Value table at Hancock Fabrics sometime back and is a Textured Bonded Knit with great stretch and recovery.  Butter soft and easy to work with.

Pictures below show the top at different angles worn with the Sandra Betzina leggings. Sorry for the bad pictures!







Below are pictures pre-review for a closer look at the fabric and button detail & techniques.











This top was such a nice change for me.  I used my sewing machine to baste for fit, serge all seams using 4-thread stitch and used the coverstitch machine for all topstitching.  The hem is 5/8 and cover stitched a narrow-left sided 3mm hem.

Well, that is about all for now.  Blogger seems to be doing what it wants tonight.

Until Next Time,
Brenda


7 comments:

  1. I like your top, both the pattern and the fabric. Please don't apologize for the "bad Pictures" that are not bad!!! I would rather see what people are making and read about their experience, good or bad. It helps the rest of us. This is about sewing, not photography. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment , Judi! I spent more time editing and downloading than actually typing the review!

      Delete
  2. What's wrong with the pictures? They all looked great to me. Nice wintery outfit, and you did a wonderful job as usual!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Faye! Those pics took forever to edit and download may have been the coloring also. I actually wore the outfit yesterday and I was actually surprised by the warmth and comfortableness. I may have to make this unic again, minus the hood!

      Delete
  3. Thank You, Jennifer! I think my frustration dealt mainly with a none issue really. I really love this outfit and received many compliments on the top Saturday. I've had so many Wadders that it felt good to have something that fits and looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tunic fabric is so pretty and it looks great with leggings. With the warmth and comfortable factor... definitely make more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Sheila. It is very warm and comfortable.

      Delete

Thanks for all your comments and responses. They are welcomed.