Hello Fellow Bloggers:
A few days ago, I posted pictures of garments I've sewn and this is the beginning of several reviews. There were actually four garments shown but I've chosen to start with the one most reviewed by other bloggers.
McCall's 6612 has been a favorite among bloggers throughout the summer and I finally got around to making it out of curiosity. My main reason for not making it, though I had purchased the pattern, was because of the collar on the longer views. Being small in the chest and having even larger hips, I have cautiously ventured into making close-fitting garments. Having disclosed all of my misgivings, I did go ahead with this very large and close-fitting maxi dress. I'm amazed! It actually looks nice and feels even better. THE Review follows.
McCall's 6612: Close-fitting, pullover dresses. Views A, B, C & D have neckline and sleeve variations, narrow hem. View A have elasticized side seams and View D has a double-layered collar.
Pattern Sizing: 8-16 Misses' and 18W and 24W Women's Sizing.
View & Sizing: I chose View D which is the longer sleeveless version and the sleeves from View D (long sleeves).
Fabrics Suggested and Notions: Jersey, Cotton Knit, Interlock and 1/2 yd of 1/4" wide elastic.
My Choice: ITY Jersey (stashed) purchased from Hancock Fabrics Value Table, who knows when?!? BUT it feels luscious against the skin. I also lined the dress, minus the sleeves, with tricot lining. Yeah!
Construction/Techniques:
This was a fairly easy dress but I did have problems trying to figure out that blob of fabric for the collar (too much fabric)! Eventually, I was able to figure things out by reading the instruction sheet and all went together fairly quickly. The dress does not recommend a lining but since I don't like dressed swirling between my legs when walking, I chose to line the body of the dress ONLY with tricot lining fabric. Great choice!
My Likes/Dislikes:
There were dislikes at the onset (i.e. collar and close-fit) but I've since changed my mind, lol!
The pictures I've chosen to reveal follows:
Will I sew it again or recommend?: The answer is yes to both! Love this dress.
I will make this dress again BUT widen the lower edge because I am always putting out fires with my brisk and fast-paced walks, lol. IMTS: Hemline is too narrow. I will widen by spreading on the next go round.
Let me know what you think!
Until The Next Time (3hrs),
Brenda
A few days ago, I posted pictures of garments I've sewn and this is the beginning of several reviews. There were actually four garments shown but I've chosen to start with the one most reviewed by other bloggers.
McCall's 6612 has been a favorite among bloggers throughout the summer and I finally got around to making it out of curiosity. My main reason for not making it, though I had purchased the pattern, was because of the collar on the longer views. Being small in the chest and having even larger hips, I have cautiously ventured into making close-fitting garments. Having disclosed all of my misgivings, I did go ahead with this very large and close-fitting maxi dress. I'm amazed! It actually looks nice and feels even better. THE Review follows.
McCall's 6612: Close-fitting, pullover dresses. Views A, B, C & D have neckline and sleeve variations, narrow hem. View A have elasticized side seams and View D has a double-layered collar.
Pattern Sizing: 8-16 Misses' and 18W and 24W Women's Sizing.
View & Sizing: I chose View D which is the longer sleeveless version and the sleeves from View D (long sleeves).
Fabrics Suggested and Notions: Jersey, Cotton Knit, Interlock and 1/2 yd of 1/4" wide elastic.
My Choice: ITY Jersey (stashed) purchased from Hancock Fabrics Value Table, who knows when?!? BUT it feels luscious against the skin. I also lined the dress, minus the sleeves, with tricot lining. Yeah!
Construction/Techniques:
This was a fairly easy dress but I did have problems trying to figure out that blob of fabric for the collar (too much fabric)! Eventually, I was able to figure things out by reading the instruction sheet and all went together fairly quickly. The dress does not recommend a lining but since I don't like dressed swirling between my legs when walking, I chose to line the body of the dress ONLY with tricot lining fabric. Great choice!
My Likes/Dislikes:
There were dislikes at the onset (i.e. collar and close-fit) but I've since changed my mind, lol!
The pictures I've chosen to reveal follows:
| BACK VIEW |
| FRONT VIEW |
| MY KEWL VIEW w/ LEATHER VEST (old) |
| FREEDOM VIEW |
| COWL NECK VIEW ON.... |
| FABRIC LOVE |
Will I sew it again or recommend?: The answer is yes to both! Love this dress.
I will make this dress again BUT widen the lower edge because I am always putting out fires with my brisk and fast-paced walks, lol. IMTS: Hemline is too narrow. I will widen by spreading on the next go round.
Let me know what you think!
Until The Next Time (3hrs),
Brenda
I love your fabric selection ;)
ReplyDeleteThank You! It is a very stable knit.
DeleteThat is a wonderful dress Brenda! Love everything about it, fabric, print and fit. Your pictures are sooooo nice. When I click on them they come up so big so you get a real good look at the dress. Love it!
ReplyDeleteThank You, Faye! This has to be an all time favorite for me after waiting so long to make it. I must be the last person to give this pattern a try.
DeleteI really like it. Everything from your fabric choice to the pattern.
ReplyDelete