Monday, June 10, 2013

The Review: Vogue 8898

Hello,
I promised a review of this dress and after 50 pictures, I hope you get the picture. lol.  Let's get started.

Pattern  Description:  Loose-fitting, pullover dress has right shoulder pleats forming drape, and narrow hem.  View B: Shoulder tie. Views B & C: Self belt, right side opening for View C.  Easy.    I  made View C.

Sizes: (XSmall-Small-Medium) I made a Sz Small; Also available in sizes (Large-XLarge-XXLarge).
           You will definitely have to go down a size as this pattern is large and based on the fit you
            desire.

Patterns Pieces:  Three (front, back and tie belt).  Easy.

Fabric Suggested: Moderate Stretch Knits: Jersey Knit, Cotton Knit.  I used a Matte Jersey left over
                              from last summers' Maxi Skirt (from the stash).

Well, this pattern is drafted well but you will definitely need to go down a size or maybe two sizes.
After looking over the finished measures, I decided to go down from a Medium to a Small and could
have gone down to an XSmall.  Throughout the day, this dress grew in the hip area (could have been the fabric).

Alterations:  Only added one inch to the length of the bodice (usual for me).

Likes/Dislikes:  I love this dress and felt "special" wearing it!  It is a quick sew.  The only thing I didn't like was the application used for the belt opening.  The next time, I will use a different method
(lips).  The pattern has us to turn down 5/8" s.a. to finish the neck edge, sleeves and hemline.  Instead, I will draft facings and coverstitch for a neater finish.  Overall, I love this pattern.

Would I recommend:  Definitely so!  This is a great pattern for a beginner. I read over the instructions and went with the flow.  Easy.

Will I Sew It Again:  Yes, yes, yes.

Below are pictures, enjoy!  Did I say I love this dress.  BTW, I normally wear long dresses and skirts but this dress has brought me out of my shell.  Yes, Ma'am/Sir. LOL.  Please note all captions underneath the pictures.

In All My Sexiness - Front View

A Back View ( I had it pulled too tightly which caused the distortion at hemline, SMH!


My earlier attempt at an outside shot.
 

On the dressform. (pls excuse the messiness)
 
 
The Inside View of the method suggested to create belt opening.  NOT!  The water marks are from my trying to
get these openings to lie flat.
 

The Outside of the belt opening (Front & Back)

My Shyness coming through, lol.
 
 
Pleats on the front shoulder

Right Shoulder Pleats and Sleeve, nice.

This is the Back View with the same pleating as the front.  Nice!


Well, that is it!  I hope you give this pattern a try if you are slightly curious.  I love this dress.  Did I tell you all that? lol 
I fell to mention that this dress grew from morning until evening (maybe it was the fabric).  Still in love!

Until Next Time,
Brenda

6 comments:

  1. This looks super! And the length is very flattering on you ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Judith! I actually love this length and the dress.

      Delete
  2. Marvelous, simply marvelous darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Faye! I love everything about this pattern. It was the first one purchased. lol

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! I want to make this one!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I love the pleating and you wore the dress well! I know this is post is almost 4 years old, but I connected to it from another review you completed (Vogue 8894) on Sewing.PatternReview.com. I hope you're still sewing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your comments and responses. They are welcomed.